RSS

My Editor stopped working when I upgraded to WordPress 3.1.2!

01 May

When the wonderful wordpress people issue updates, my blog prompts me to upgrade automatically. Although it always warns me to backup everything first, I never do. Although, sometimes I test the upgrade on a less important blog first.

The first time I ever had a problem was this morning, when I upgraded Big-Animals.com WordPress 3.1.2.

After the upgrade, I went to edit a page. I couldn’t see the text. It had all become white, on a white background. Worse, instead of my nice ‘Visual’ WYSIWYG view, all the text of the page was in HTML. All my WYSIWYG controls appeared briefly then vanished. I was able to make some changes in the HTML view, but the formatting of the page got messed up, with extra line breaks added.

Googling, I found little by way of information about this problem.

• There was one guy with the same problem, trying to pay some experts $10 to solve it. The experts didn’t seem to know what was happening.
  • There was a line in a long list of old wordpress bugs to the effect that the editor was broken – but surely they’d fix that before a release? Anyway, I couldn’t find the actual bug report, I could only see it in the search engine results.

So, I was on my own. My TinyMCE editor was broken in WordPress 3.1.2, and nobody else seemed to have the same problem. I disabled all plugins, and reinstalled wordpress, but it didn’t help.

Finally, though, I found a hack that seemed to fix the problem. TinyMCE was looking for two files that were missing. They were

/wp-includes/js/tinymce/themes/advanced/langs/en.js

and

/wp-includes/js/tinymce/langs/en.js

interestingly, inside the latter folder, there was a file with a promising filename

/wp-includes/js/tinymce/langs/wp-langs-en.js

So, I made two copies of that file, putting them in the place of the missing files. And voila! My tinyMCE is back!

Of course, I may be in for some funny error messages if TinyMCE ever tries to display any English language messages, but as far as I can see, TinyMCE is a virtually alingual user interface….

Update

It seems it’s nothing to do with WordPress 3.1.2, but rather because Google’s Apache plugin mod_pagespeed is not compatible with out-of-the-box WordPress. The problems mentioned above did not go away permanently when I copied the files, but they disappeared instantly when the mod_pagespeed plugin was disabled.

Tags: , , , ,

1. wmeredith

May 2, 2011 at 10:56 am

I tried this to no avail. It’s still busted…

2. New york photographer

May 9, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I’ve been having this issue, and tried disabling all plugins , achieving no success.. I didn’t even use tiny mce, but I’ve tried installing it to see if it would recovoer the visual editor, no go. I don’t run this page speed plugin either, unless it works under the hood somehow… if the Apache plugin is all that is at fault..and I don’t think it exists on my installation, how do I solve this.. I’m going to try your tiny mce “fix” and see if I get any wysiwyg control .

3. Mike H

May 9, 2011 at 9:20 pm

mod_pagespeed is a plugin to the apache webserver. When my webhost enabled it, these problems started. When they disabled it, the problems disappeared.

The only thing I found on the web is this thread : http://wordpress.org/support/topic/plugin-w3-total-cache-googles-mod_pagespeed-and-w3 which doesn’t seem to address this problem, except for the comment “mod_pagespeed is still beta and had some nasty bugs. I would not use it until those bugs are fixed

If you know where to look for your httpd.conf file, look for lines like this :

ModPagespeed on

This will give you a clue whether or not mod_pagespeed is switched on. Or raise a support ticket with your web host.

4. New york photographer

May 10, 2011 at 4:34 pm

So, an update. After trying a lot of fixes, the one that worked for my unique situation was changing the folder permissions of the wp-includes to 775. For some unknown reason after the upgrade the environment changed such that this became necessary… *shrug.

5. Malisz

May 10, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Just install Fiddler and load your websites to see which files are missing or incorrect paths. I had the same problem exactly, the Viper’s video quicktags plugin was not well installed. Everything’s ok now

6. Alex

May 21, 2011 at 12:37 am

has something to do with http://www.advicenetwork.nl/wp-includes/js/tinymce/plugins/media/editor_plugin.js?ver=327-1235
    missing… created the file (empty) and now it works… still looking for the reference to http://www.advicenetwork.nl/wp-includes/js/tinymce/plugins/media/editor_plugin.js?ver=327-1235 , cant find it

7. dan

June 30, 2011 at 2:44 am

I ran into this issue today. Thanks for the post. If you still want to use mod_pagespeed and are having this problem, all you have to do is disable JS files from being cached by mod_pagespeed by editing your pagespeed.conf file and adding this line:

ModPagespeedDisableFilters rewrite_js

8. Brandon Pierce

July 8, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I found a solution:

I used Firebug to track the failure on the Posts page. There were two files missing:
    en,js
    wp-langs-en.js

I Copied the “langs” directory from here:
    wp-includes > js > tinymce > langs

and Pasted it here:
    These files need to be in this directory:
    wp-includes > js > tinymce > themes > advanced > langs

I also added a duplicate of “wp-langs-en.js”, renaming it “en.js”. So both files are in that directory.

Let me know if you have questions.

@BrandonPierce

9. Donny

September 17, 2011 at 3:32 am

This worked for me. I have a 3.2.1 installation on the scripts.mit.edu service.

10. ak van denderen

January 20, 2012 at 11:06 pm

WHOW thanks a lot!!! I ve spend days for solving my problem I want to hug You ;-)

In Firefox and Chrome I had no MCSComments wysiwyg all others were perfect.

Again: Thanks a lot!

11. Tamlyn

May 4, 2012 at 8:28 pm

I had this problem. It turned out to be caused by site_home not including the full http://… URI.